Building 01 District 10 Dundee
Summary: New build office building using recycled shipping containers.
Description of Works: Construction of a 3-storey office building providing approximately 950m2 of space using recycled shipping containers for Scottish Enterprise. Registered with the Considerate Constructors Scheme the project received a Certificate of Performance Beyond Compliance and was delivered to BREEAM ‘Excellent’ standard and within the ethos of the Dundee Waterfront ‘BREEAM Sustainable Communities’ bid.
The building provides:
- 15 no. 38m2 offices with tea prep facilities
- 1 no. 31m2 office
- a communal kitchen/common room
- a meeting room
- new access road, car parking, pavements
- new sub-station and services infrastructure
- a building shell constructed from recycled shipping containers with heavily insulated and sealed wall, roof and floor linings
- Sarnafil polymeric roof
- a central steel self-supporting stairwell
- mechanical and electrical services including a passenger lift and roof-top pv panels
- Achieving the required BREEAM credits. Site registered with the Considerate Constructers Scheme with aim to achieve minimum score of 32 (exceeded on 2 audits), responsible sourcing of timber from FSC suppliers, use of recycled aggregates and effective management of site impacts e.g. waste, energy, water consumption and transport. SWMP encouraged reduction, re-use and recycling of materials and identified target for non-hazardous waste not to exceed 3.2 tonnes or 3.4m2 per 100m2.
- Revised drainage layout required due to the drainage impact assessment being re-assessed and showing a risk of flooding. Revised drainage designs were concluded and approved for use.
Registered with the Considerate Constructors Scheme the project received a Certificate of Performance Beyond Compliance and was delivered to BREEAM ‘Excellent’ standard and within the ethos of the Dundee Waterfront ‘BREEAM Sustainable Communities’ bid.
- 2014 Scottish Design Awards: Commendation for Architecture: Commercial/ Offices Building or Project
- 2014 Dundee Civic Trust Awards: Commendation for its outstanding contribution to the townscape of Dundee